We have the answers

Crime FAQs

Arrange a meeting
Crime FAQs
I think that I am being investigated by the police or some other prosecuting body, should I contact you now to discuss or wait until I am arrested?

Please contact us straight away as there may be important early advice that we can give you now. Do not delay until you are arrested.

I have been arrested, what do I do?

Tell the police that you want to be legally represented, give them our name Gerard Maye Legal and they will arrange for us to speak to you.

Will I have to pay any legal costs for being advised at the police station?

Everyone is legally entitled to free advice at the police station from a qualified legal representative. However, it may not be possible for you to have the same representative throughout and they may not attend every appointment. We can advise you on your options, and by instructing Gerard Maye Legal you can be assured of the highest quality advice and support throughout.

I was arrested yesterday and did not have a solicitor and I have been charged with an offence, what should I do next?

If you want to talk to us about any criminal matter please call 01273 916000 or our emergency out of hours number 07855 471893. Alternatively, use the form on our contact page and we will put you in touch with an experienced criminal defence adviser as quickly as possible.

I have used a solicitor, but I want to change?

If you are currently instructing another solicitor and wish to change to Gerard Maye Legal please contact us and we will discuss with you your options.

What will my sentence be?

We will be able to give you an opinion about the range of options and likely sentence in your case. Ultimately, the sentencing decision lies with the court, but we can give you our view based upon our extensive experience in dealing with criminal cases.

Can I appeal my conviction and/or sentence?

Everyone can appeal against conviction and/or sentence. However, it is important that you are given the right advice, as an unsuccessful appeal could result in a more severe sentence or increased costs to pay. We can advise you as to whether you have a reasonable prospect of success.

I have received a Court Summons through the post, I must go to Court, what should I do?

Please contact us on 01273 916000 or use the contact us form here on our website and an adviser will be able to confirm whether, and how we can help you.

I have to go to Court for a driving case, what should I do?

We can help you with all motoring offences. Please contact us here via our website or call 01273 916000 to speak to an experienced adviser.

My child has been arrested, how can I seek legal representation for him/her?

All children under 17 are entitled to have an appropriate adult with them at the police station. They are also allowed to be represented by a criminal solicitor. You, as their parent, can ask for legal representation. Tell the police that you would like us to represent your child and they will arrange for us to attend. Alternatively, you can contact us on 01273 916000 or use our emergency out of hours number 07855 471893 and we can act for your child.

I must attend an interview about my benefits claim and I think they might allege that I have claimed for a benefit that I was not entitled to, what should I do and will I have to pay for advice?

If you are to be interviewed at the police station, you will be entitled to free legal advice. If you are being interviewed at another venue (e.g. the Benefits Agency) then you might be entitled to free legal advice, but this will depend upon your financial circumstances. In either scenario, we can provide you with help, information and advice. We will also advise you on the likely costs we will incur if appropriate.  Please call us for assistance on 01273 916000.

I own and run a business, I think I might be investigated for a regulatory offence, what are my options?

We have extensive experience in regulatory and business related criminal investigations and proceedings. Call us on 01273 916000 to discuss your concerns with our Director Gerard Maye.

Arrange a Meeting